Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(November 1994)

Subject: Secure modem pool
From: andy @ tss . com (Andrew S. Howell)
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 1994 11:59:02 +0900 (JST)
To: Firewalls @ greatcircle . com

Hello,
	I know this isn't directly to do with firewalls, but I hope
that someone can point me in the right direction.

I want to set up a modem pool to allow our clients and field engineers
to have ppp access to our site. I thought of using a terminal server
with ppp support, but am quite worried about security. This would allow
them to direct access to our network, would it not? I would guess that
it would be hard to implement additional filtering.

Would I be better off setting up a firewall-like machine through
which all external ppp links passed? How about SCSI based terminal
servers ? Do they give me greater control over my links?

Any pointers regarding this would be greatly appreciated. I will
summarize my findings if anyone is interested.

Thanks.

--
Andy Howell
Teknekron Software Systems (Japan)

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Unix on Pentium for firewall