Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(November 1994)

Subject: Re: Firewalls-Digest V3 #428
From: jimc @ e-Commerce . Com (Jim Carroll)
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 94 08:30:44 EST
To: Firewalls @ greatcircle . com

Warning: Digression in Progress!

Brent Chapman writes:
> "Chuck Yerkes" <yerkes_chuck @
 jpmorgan .
 com> writes:

> # > I was under the impression that you needed authorization for the Gov to
> # > encrypt voice coms, no?
> #
> # When this was brought up before, a columbia law professor pointed
> # out that the government has as much right to outlaw phone scramblers
> # as they do to prohibit people from speaking Navajo.
>
> You're not allowed to do encrypted voice in the amateur radio bands.
> That's the only current restriction on encrypted voice that I'm aware
> of; as far as I know, it's perfectly legal on telephone circuits.

Now you've got me wondering:

1. Does that mean that one is not allowed to speak Navajo in the
amateur bands?

2. Same question, but with some synthetic language that only 2 people
know?

3. I guess covert use of the amateur voice bands is acceptable...?

4. Other?

Just throwing out some hairs to split and some straw men to knock
down....

--
Jim Carroll --  jimc @
 e-Commerce .