Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(January 1995)

Subject: Copy of Xsteal required
From: "Mike Prince" <mike @ VNET . IBM . COM>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 95 16:29:23 GMT
To: firewalls @ GreatCircle . COM

Does anyone have an opinion as to whether running xforward or xroute
daemons on a firewall to allow X11 traffic through it is safe or not?
I am concerned that once an X11 connection is established between a
client on the external net and an X11 server on the internal network,
that potentially a program such as Xsteal might be able to snoop data
from *other* windows on the X11 server.

Unfortunately I don't have a copy of Xsteal to test this out.  Can
anyone suggest where I might obtain the source?  Please feel free to
mail me direct if this is not appropriate for this list.

Many thanks,  Mike.

Mike Prince (mike @
 hursley .
 ibm .
 com),
Firewall administrator
IBM Hursley Laboratories, UK.

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Consultant Qualifications