>With Internet access, there are some people who have discovered binary
>pictures (subject of pictures doesn't really apply here), and are down-
>loading them at a rapid clip. Rapid enough to cause performance problems
>here on the network. The initial reaction of management was:
>How do we keep this ******* off the net?
Sticky subject indeed:
1) Post notice that "Company equipment is for company business only"
2) Post notice that "All use may be monitored". (see previous post)
3) Have your own NNTP server and allow only Port 119 connections across the
firewall to that server. Select appropriate newsgroups to business.
4) Use proxy hosts with logging for WWW (port 80) and FTP (port 21/20)
5) Log E-Mail over c.a. 40k.
6) Send reports of high bandwidth individuals to their managers along with
connected sites (no "monitoring" required - ask the legal types)
I suspect your problem will then go away.