Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(June 1996)

Subject: Re: Round-robin DNS?
From: girsch @ marben . com (Arnaud Girsch)
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 16:40:49 -0700 (PDT)
To: peterg @ mccaw-stg . com (Peter Gregory)
Cc: firewalls @ greatcircle . com

>>> How are people out there implementing round-robin DNS? I have "n"
>>> servers acting as www.wherever.com and I want to split the traffic
>>> bewteen them. Of course, if I could do a proper load balancing that
>>> would be great, but a simple "n" way split is a big help already.
>>
>> This is the default behaviour of DNSes ...
>> If www.foo.com refers several hosts, every DNS query to the server will give
>> you a different address.
>
> Untrue.  Perhaps a few implementations of DNS do this, but MOST do not
> behave in this manner.
err ...
I'd say, perhaps a few implementations of DNS don't do this, but MOST (AFAIK)
do behave in this manner ...
(Bind named, which is on all Unix boxen do that, DNS NT servers do that, etc ..)

> [Nearly] any off-the-shelf DNS will give 'A record' results in the same order
> every time.
I disagree.... but it's maybe going off topic.

'just show me some DNS implementation that doesn't round robin .. ?
Probably few of them are not round robin'ing, but I have to disagree when you
say that "any off-the-shelf" doesn't.

Arnaud.

--
Arnaud Girsch  -+- agirsch @
 marben .

From: peterg @ mccaw-stg . com (Peter Gregory)
Next: Re: Maintenance of firewall-1 2.0
From: security @ qualix . com (Nik D. Knoth)
Indexed By Thread Previous: Re: Round-robin DNS?
From: peterg @ mccaw-stg . com (Peter Gregory)
Next: Re: Round-robin DNS?
From: "Simon J. Gerraty" <sjg @ zen . void . oz . au>