Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(June 1996)

Subject: Re: John Cathey is out of the office.
From: gdonl @ gv . ssi1 . com (Don Lewis)
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 21:52:49 -0700
To: Eric Wieling <ewieling @ hephaestus . icorp . net>
Cc: Firewalls @ GreatCircle . COM

On Jun 10, 11:23pm, Eric Wieling wrote:
} When I was asked to place a vacation message on one of our
} salespeople's accounts I used 'vacation' which at least tries to keep
} from sending the vacation message over and over again to the same
} address.

Any decent vacation program is even smarter than that.  Here's what
the man page from the SunOS 4.1.x vacation program sez:

     No message is sent if the `To:' or the `Cc:' line  does  not
     list  the  user to whom the original message was sent or one
     of a number of aliases for them, if the  initial  From  line
     includes the string -REQUEST@, or if a `Precedence: bulk' or

which would prevent vacation from replying even once to messages
forwarded from 99% of all mail lists.

This isn't exactly new or earthshaking technology.  Whenever someone
re-invents the wheel, do they always have to repeat the same mistakes?

Hmn, I wonder what would happen if someone forged a message to
Mr. Cathey using his return address ;-)

			---  Truck

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: John Cathey is out of the office.