Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(June 1996)

Subject: Re: RE: IBM Firewall
From: Ian Johnstone-Bryden <ianj-b @ dial . pipex . com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 96 18:59:32 GMT
To: Gene Lee <genel @ inforamp . net>

> No, I'm not a salesman. There was specific mention of the IBM
Firewall
> and request for more information (from Ian Gresley-Jones and Adam
> Shostack) so I supplied it. My title at IBM is Technical Marketing
> Support for TCP/IP workstation products.

Is Technical Marketing Support shorthand for failed techie now
selling, or failed salesman now trying to find out how it works?
Ian J-B

> --
> Gene Lee
> genel @
 inforamp .
 net
> genelee @
 vnet .
 ibm .
 com

> ----------
> From: 	Bill Stout[SMTP:bill .
 stout @
 hidata .
 com]
> Sent: 	Monday, June 17, 1996 11:55 AM
> To: 	Gene Lee; 'Firewalls @
 GreatCircle .
 COM'
> Subject: 	Re: IBM Firewall
>
> You're a salesman.  Go away.  Don't come back.
>
> At 08:29 PM 6/14/96 -0400, Gene Lee wrote:
> >With regards to some of the messages concerning SNG, there is a
new
> beta of
> the FW available for download on http://www.ics.raleigh.ibm.com. If
> you have
> a spare RS/6000 kicking around, feel free to try it out (and send
me
> comments, criticism and/or hate-mail).
> >
> >Among some of the new features are Network Address Translation, a
> less-complicated interface for creating filtering rules, support
> under AIX
> 4.1 and 4.2 (note 4.2 has the new Sendmail 8.7 - as Dave Roberts
has
> already
> mentioned), support for VPNs with compliance to RFCs 1825-1829,
> pager
> support, and inbound ftp proxying.
> >
> >There was some talk of the integrity checking of FW files, and AIX
> does
> come with the Trusted Computing Base which keeps and compares
> checksums of
> all critical system files (using tcbck). The FW files can be added
> to the
> TCB. Although not in the current beta, the developers are working
on
> MD5
> hashing of FW system files.
> >
> >--
> >Gene Lee
> >genel @
 inforamp .
 net
> >genelee @
 vnet .
 ibm .
 com

Ian Johnstone-Bryden, Rayzarb Associates
Tel:    +44 (0)1986 782418
Fax:    +44 (0)1986 782525
Email:  gq50 @
 dial .