Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(June 1996)

Subject: Re: SATAN pre-delivery questionnaire (fwd)
From: Michael Dillon <michael @ memra . com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 14:20:21 -0700 (PDT)
To: Michel Lavondes <lavondes @ tidtest . total . fr>
Cc: firewalls @ GreatCircle . COM

On Tue, 18 Jun 1996, Michel Lavondes wrote:

> > is throw away the headers and change the root password. That's right, I
> > said *CHANGE* the root password that was given in the message....
> >
> Did you try it ? ;-)

No, I'm not that nasty. But the guy who posted the spoof questionaire said
he felt like he had just shot a burglar in his livingroom (perfectly legal
in the USA) but now he has a big bloodstain in his carpet...

As long as there are fallible humans in great numbers administering
network security, firewalls are only the beginning...

I think that this will evolve to a point where most companies outsource
their network security including firewall management, just like most
companies now outsource security services rather than hiring their own
security guards. Of course, larger corporations will tend to do both of
these things in house.

Michael Dillon                                   ISP & Internet Consulting
Memra Software Inc.                                 Fax: +1-604-546-3049
http://www.memra.com                             E-mail: michael @
 memra .
 com