Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(June 1996)

Subject: Re: split-brain DNS
From: The Root of All Evil <toshio @ kamikaze . dnp . co . jp>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 1996 11:49:17 +0900
To: Firewalls @ GreatCircle . COM

Steve Bellovin <smb @
 research .
 att .
 com> writes:

steve>	 The split-brain DNS is a problem when you have a domain and
steve>	 subdomains behind the firewall. The solution we know is to declare
steve>	 the DNS server of the parent domain as a secondary server for every
steve>	 existing subdomain. This solution is not really great since we can't
steve>	 resolve Internet names from a subdomain.
steve>	 We are currently using the 4.9.3-REV and testing the 4.9.4 of BIND
steve>	 but no improvement seems to be done...

Isn't nofoward.tar.gz patch in the BIND contrib directory
useful to solve this problem ?

ftp://ftp.vix.com/pub/bind/release/4.9.3/contrib/noforward.tar.gz

-------
 Toshio Shigematsu
 Dai Nippon Printing Co., Ltd. Information System Dept.
 E-Mail: toshio @
 dnp .
 co .
 jp