Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(June 1996)

Subject: Re: Gauntlet - How good is it?
From: John Betts <johnb @ aztec . co . za>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 1996 16:39:17 +0200 (SAT)
To: pokey @ maddie . atlantic . com (Rick Romkey)
Cc: firewalls @ greatcircle . com

% Regardless of whether it is the best or not, I don't think it is
% realistic to assume that all organizations have to Unix background
% to easily and comfortably manage a Gauntlet firewall.  We get calls
% from users who aren't even our customers looking for help maintaining
% the thing.
%
Funny that you say this....

Alan works for GI, who make the Centri firewall for NT, which
is based on Gauntlet, which I also currently happen to be
evaluating.

It is a _very_ easy to manage and to use product let me tell you!
Just a pity it requires NT *grin*

Anyway, the last time I worked with gauntlet, it had an web-based
front-end.

So, you dont need to be a unix guru (*aside* although, if you are not
a unix guru, I doubt you are a tcp/ip guru, and therefore
should not be controlling a firewall in the first place,
but that is my own personall opinion)

% That is a wonderful strength, but it is a huge liability as well.
% Firewalls like BorderWare need no Unix to deal with, and Firewall-1
% (in it's 2.1 release) can be managed from Win95/NT boxes which means
% you don't need 4 years of "vi" training to set up a rule.
%
well, neither does gauntlet, or Centri (from GI.net).

Although, I must admit, the initial setup of gauntlet under unix
requires a clue or six about unix, but the general easy-to-do
maintenance stuff can be done via the web interface.

ciao

--
John Betts, Aztec Internet Services Port Elizabeth, South Africa
johnb @