Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(June 1996)

Subject: Spoofing - what is in a name
From: "Daniel Salenger" <dsalenger @ dttus . com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 96 10:44:29 CST
To: firewalls @ GreatCircle . com

     For lack of better terminology, I have been calling both of the
     following situations 'spoofing'.  If there is a better industry term
     for the second scenario I would like to hear it:

     1. MIBH (Man in Black Hat) knows the internal workings of the network
     at company X.  MIBH directly attempts to use an internal trusted IP
     address from an untrusted attached network.

     2. MIBH believes that company X is properly firewalled and that spoof
     type 1 will not work.  MIBH knows that company X has strong ties with
     company Y.  MIBH attempts to use the company Y IP address to gain
     trusted access to application proxies on the firewall.

     I realize that there are proper methods for protecting from both
     attacks, I am just curious about naming conventions.  Spoof type two
     is still the attempt to use a trusted IP address to access restricted
     services.

     Dan Salenger
     Deloitte & Touche LLP
     dsalenger @
 dttus .
 com

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: A response from CSI