Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(June 1996)

Subject: SOCKS protocol.
From: "David j. Sopuch" <djs @ iwinpak . com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 11:54:00 -0400
To: FIREWALLS @ GreatCircle . COM

Hi:

We've written some code that sends http, ftp, and smtp messages
through winsock.  We are trying to support proxy servers, and
we have recently learned of the SOCKS protocol, and have visited
NEC's socks information site.

My question is:

How popular is SOCKS?

Can we wait for winsock makers to support it, or must every
application that wants to open sockets have support for
SOCKS eventually?

Lastly, we have found that gethostbyname() doesn't work on some
corporate networks, I presume because there is no internal DNS.
How common is this?

tia,

--
David j. Sopuch
Datamax Research corp.         http://www.iwinpak.com

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: LACC: A response from CSI