Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(June 1996)

Subject: Re: Spoofing - what is in a name
From: "Kenneth J. Stephens" <Kenneth_Stephens @ miconsulting . com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 15:36:08 -0400 (EDT)
To: "Daniel Salenger" <dsalenger @ dttus . com>
Cc: firewalls @ GreatCircle . COM

At 10:44 AM 6/25/96 CST, you wrote:
>     For lack of better terminology, I have been calling both of the
>     following situations 'spoofing'.  If there is a better industry term
>     for the second scenario I would like to hear it:
>
>     1. MIBH (Man in Black Hat) knows the internal workings of the network
>     at company X.  MIBH directly attempts to use an internal trusted IP
>     address from an untrusted attached network.
>
>     2. MIBH believes that company X is properly firewalled and that spoof
>     type 1 will not work.  MIBH knows that company X has strong ties with
>     company Y.  MIBH attempts to use the company Y IP address to gain
>     trusted access to application proxies on the firewall.
>

>     I realize that there are proper methods for protecting from both
>     attacks, I am just curious about naming conventions.  Spoof type two
>     is still the attempt to use a trusted IP address to access restricted
>     services.
>

>     Dan Salenger
>     Deloitte & Touche LLP
>     dsalenger @
 dttus .
 com

I assume from your description that in Case 1, no firewall is present
to protect the "trusted" network from the untrusted attached network.
In Case 1 you are attempting to spoof the network directly.  In Case 2
you are trying to spoof the network through a firewall.  I see very little
difference between the two.  Why would you think they should be known by
two seperate terms.  Maybe I missed your point?

Ken

 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
[]  Ken_Stephens @
 miconsulting .
 com    (313) 876-5081   []
[]  Senior Capacity Planner/Data Security Officer     []
[]  Michigan Employment Security Commission (MESC)    []
[]  Millennium Consulting                             []
[]  Your Security Policy is only as strong as your    []
[]  organization's commitment to it.                  []

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: LACC: A response from CSI