Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(June 1996)

Subject: Re: Gauntlet - How good is it?
From: Bill Stout <bill . stout @ hidata . com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 12:47:56 -0700
To: Firewalls @ GreatCircle . COM
Cc: johnb @ aztec . co . za, firewalls @ greatcircle . com

At 10:34 AM 6/25/96 -0600, Matthew Cable/USA.NET Inc. wrote:
>On Mon, 24 Jun 1996, Rick Romkey wrote:
>

>> But not every organization can afford a TCP/IP weenie.  That's why
>> they look to a black-box, easy to use solution.  That's why Gauntlet
>> isn't the best for everyone.  How can a 10 person novell shop
>> justify hiring a dedicated person to deal w/Internet problems.
>

>How can they justify it?

<good stuff snipp'd>

Let me see.  You wish use match a bozo against the below list.  I believe
that is the point some of the below are trying to make:

The Curious Hacker - Students, new internet users.
Individual Hackers - Kevin Mitnick, et al.
U.S. Hacker Clubs - Legion of Doom, Masters of Deception, Sherwood Forest,
        Anarchy Inc, Chaos Computer Club, Damage Inc, The Punk Mafia, etc.
International Hackers - Germany, Netherlands, Finland, India, Taiwan, etc.
Corporate hackers - Alleged hacking groups exist in well-known corporations.
        AKA Systems administrators/firewallers.  Need to test our security!
Consultants - A strong consultant relationship with a compeditor should
        be of interest to you.  I've seen alleged ftp of e-mail databases.
Fed/Military - Alleged Information Warfare groups exist with the same secrecy
        as satellite recon, in U.S., Germany, Japan, France, Iran, etc.
        Most effort is in corporate espionage for national economic reasons.
'Columbian'/Mafia groups - Allegedly have hackers in their employ to collect
        intelligence/influence people via touching medical/police/credit/
        driving/perscription records.  Allegedly same as intelligence groups.
Terrorist Groups - Alleged hackers exist in the IRA/Red Brigade/other cause
        motivated/impact seeking groups.  Air traffic control/hospitals/
        perscription authorities/banks/brokerages/lumber companies seem
        to be targets.

These people are not going to target Netcom or Compuserve users accounts.
The targets are corporate networks, with various reasons/intents for
each hacking group.  Many groups are exersizing their freedoms and ethically
do not alter or damage data, others attempt not to leave a trace of their
visit for intelligence gathering/future purposes, and some are obviously
malicious.

Bill Stout
William B. Stout       | Major revelations:
Senior Systems Admin   | "All objects are part of a larger object."
Hitachi Data Systems   | "3 aware beings comprise a person; mind, body, spirit."
NT/UNIX/I-net/Routers  | "The secret of life: To be involved with 'creation'."
408-970-4822           | Disclaimer: I speak for no one but us three people.  ;)

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: SOCKS protocol.