Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(June 1996)

Subject: Re: Network ethernet sniffer
From: gary flynn <gary @ habanero . jmu . edu>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 09:00:48 -0400
To: firewalls-owner @ GreatCircle . COM, gunni @ if . is
Cc: firewalls @ GreatCircle . COM

> From: Ben <adept @
 cep .
 yale .
 edu>
> To: Gunnar Ingvi Thorisson <gunni @
 if .
 is>
> Cc: firewalls @
 GreatCircle .
 COM
> Subject: Re: Network ethernet sniffer
>
> >    is it possible to detect if a machine and then which machine might be
> > sniffing the network if the machines are about 60 - 70 on that subnet.
> > It would be good to know if it is possible and then how if someone knows.
>
> You can use programs to detect if there are any ethernet adaptors in
> promiscuous mode.

Ben,

I assume you're talking about a program you take to the workstation
to run? If not, can you give an example of a program that can determine
promiscuous state remotely? I can't figure out how this would work unless
it detects a whirlpool around the promiscuous NIC <GRIN>

thanks,
gary

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Re[2]: Checkpoint FTP Problem