Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(June 1996)

Subject: Re: Re[4]: Java & ActiveX
From: Mario Bai <mbai @ straticom . com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 1996 11:31:22 -0400
To: Peter da Silva <peter @ baileynm . com>
Cc: Firewalls @ GreatCircle . COM

Peter da Silva wrote:

> > This is fine as far as it goes. *but* it rather misses the whole point of
> > either of the two approaches. The point is that both are intended to be a
> > new, cheaper, more manageable and cross-platform way of implementing client
> > server applications over an Intranet.
>
> Are they? Honestly? It seems strange that Microsoft would be ceding the
> internal client-server battle to TCP/IP so easily, when they already have
> a more secure and higher performance tool in the form of Windows NT.

Peter,
Why would Microsoft be ceding the battle to TCP/IP and not Java? As I
understand, ActiveX can run over TCP/IP, as well as Java. And how is the
operating system (NT) a "more secure and higher performance tool?" What
are you comparing NT to in this instance? Surely not a protocol, such as
TCP/IP....
--
Mario G. Bai              Straticom International, Inc.
mbai @