Great Circle Associates Firewalls
(June 1996)

Subject: Re[6]: Java & ActiveX
From: "Steve Betts" <Steve_Betts @ ccmailgw . biss . co . uk>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 96 09:45:44 GMT
To: Firewalls @ GreatCircle . COM, peter @ baileynm . com (Peter da Silva)

Peter

>Are they? Honestly? It seems strange that Microsoft would be ceding the
>internal client-server battle to TCP/IP so easily, when they already
>have a more secure and higher performance tool in the form of Windows
>NT.

As I read M$ strategy it seams that they ceded the protocol battle more than
two years ago when they started to give away 32 bit TCP/IP for Win3.11.
Since then the Visual Basic client/server tools together with everything
else runs happily over TCP/IP, IPX and other protocols.

They (as are everybody else) now seem to be building standard internet
protocols and formats into *all* of their products, including ways to use
java applets alongside ActiveX components in VB, word, excel etc.

I am sure that M$ see NT as being *key* to the success of the intranet, but
then quite a lot of industry analysts agree with them.

One thing is clear, the advent of the widespread adoption of the java
virtual machine is as important to the IT industry as the introduction of
the PC.

Regards.                 ,-.
   /   ) /              <,  )       /  /  NB Opinions are my own and may
  (__  -/---            /_,/      -/--/- not be the same as my employers
/    ) / /7 /7 /7  /7  /  `>  /7  /  / _/7    tel: +44 (0) 1 442 233 366

Indexed By Date Previous: Summary: Firewalls and MS SQL server