Subject: Re: Spam!
From: Mike Bresina <mike @ bridge . millstream . net>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 1998 18:32:05 -0600 (CST)
To: Daniel Walsh <karsus @ geocities . com>
Cc: Firewalls <firewalls @ GreatCircle . COM>

On Wed, 1 Apr 1998, Daniel Walsh wrote:

> I'll make this short, and I know this has nothing to do with firewalls,
> but. . .
> SPAM!  How do I deal with the "unidentified recipients?"  And more
> importantly, I have recieved several e-mails from an AOL account, that
> returns an unidentified user response when I tried to get off the list.
> Help?  Maybe a direction to send me in?

Check the headers; the spams have been propagated via the list itself.

As far as the 'remove' "feature", that's just a way to get away with
distributing spam software.  Bear in mind that spammers are rarely
selling anything; spam is a denial-of-service attack masquerading as
business mail.  Note the phony unsub posts; they're spelled wrong so
majordomo won't recognize the keyword and divert them from the list.

Why a listmom of a firewalls list would put up with these shenanigans
is beyond me.

Mike Bresina           (mike @
 vsat .
 net)