Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 1992)

Subject: Re: Listserv vs News
From: phil @ pex . eecs . nwu . edu (William LeFebvre)
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 92 15:49:19 CST
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM, ledwards @ nsf . gov, jcrawfor @ nsf . gov

> I think it's pretty clear that news has much better mechanisms
> for dealing with large volumes of traffic and multiple lists/newsgroups.

No argument here.

The largest problem I have found with news is that it is not nearly as
universal as mail.  Nearly everyone with any sort of network connection
(even something as simple as a compu$erve account) can send and receive
mail.  But news is a different matter.  There are still LOTS of sites who
have, for one reason or another, chosen not to carry ANY news at all.
People stuck on these sites are the ones that still rely heavily on
mailing lists.

		William LeFebvre
		Computing Facilities Manager and Analyst
		Northwestern University
		<phil@eecs.nwu.edu>