Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 1992)

Subject: Re: How to deal with bounces
From: "Kenton A. Hoover" <shibumi @ net . bio . net>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 92 12:22:15 -0800
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

For the biosci lists, we automatically send out an information
sheet and a subscription confirmation to each new subscriber.  If
it is going to bounce, it bounces quickly, and if its me, I'll try
to figure out what the users real address is.  Otherwise, the
'bouncers' list is the place for them.

Problem countries are .tw (Republic of China) and .kr (Republic of
Korea), since their local machines usually give the wrong
origination addresses and also break about once a week.  Another
problem is .in (India), where their backbone site(s) doesn't
connect often enough, and we get a whole country full of bounces at
a time.

| Kenton A. Hoover                                 |      shibumi@net.bio.net |
| BIOSCI Network Administrator                     |                          |
| BIOSCI/IntelliGenetics, Inc.                     |          +1 415 962 7300 |
|=========== net.bio.net -- The New Home of the bionet Newsgroups ============|
| Ride a motorcycle.  Save Gas, Oil, Rubber, Steel, Aluminum, Parking Spaces, |
| The Environment, and Money.  Plus, you get to wear all the leather you want!|