Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 1992)

Subject: Re: Nominations for Most Stupid Way of Gatewaying Mail
From: bahainvs!johnw @ cs . UMD . EDU (John Wiegley)
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 92 02:51:38 EST
To: "List Managers" <list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM>

> Uh, perhaps you miss the point...

Yes, I guess I did miss the point.  Well, better luck next time..

On a more important issue:

Would anyone happen to know how to write a Berkeley daemon?
I'm writing a pre-Mail server that gets run from an alias.  It
does various things: automated database service, list management,
and the like.  However, it is not a small program (about 200K),
and there's going to be about 10 different services being by
it.  Also, there could be potentially hundreds of different
requests processed at a single time.  Since it's running off of
a Unix machine, that'll start about a hundred 200K processes.
This is obviously unacceptable, and would max out my machine's
16 Megs in a second.  So the only solution I see is to code the
server as a Berkeley daemon, and then write a queueing program.
(btw, the OS is BSD4.3).

I've written code before using the IPC library.. is this what I
want?  I looked through signal.h, but that doesn't seem to be
the way to go.  The queueing program needs to send over an integer,
and a buffer of 10 strings (max), in the format: int argc,
char *argv[] (just like the entry info given to main() ).

Can anyone point me down the right road?  Man pages, book titles,
all of these would be helpful.

Thanks,
  John

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Nominations for Most Stupid Way of Gatewaying Mail