Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 1992)

Subject: Re: Nominations for Most Stupid Way of Gatewaying Mail
From: mkc @ Graphics . Cornell . edu
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 92 10:44:10 EST
To: "Kenton A. Hoover" <shibumi @ net . bio . net>
Cc: "List Managers" <list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM>, mkc @ Graphics . Cornell . edu

>Uh, perhaps you miss the point -- its not that the sender doesn't
>know whats happening (he clearly doesn't, but he can tell something
>is wrong), its that some moron at Kodak put together that pathetic
>excuse for a mail gateway.  They probably think it enhances system
>security.

Careful here.  Most of what I saw in the headers of that message was
boilerplate straight from Digital.  The user is using All-in-1 mail on a
VAX/VMS system.  The VAX is gatewaying All-in-1 mail to DECnet mail and
sending the DECnet mail to an Ultrix system.  The Ultrix system is
gatewaying DECnet mail to internet-style mail.  The only thing unusual
I see in any of it is the From: and Reply-to: lines containing
nobody@Kodak.com.  Whoever assembled the gateways at Kodak did it by the
book except for that.

Not that I like the way Digital implemented it.  When I ran a DECnet-
Internet mail gateway here, I hacked it up to make it transparent to
the rest of the Internet.  I just think if you want to flame someone for
a lousy gateway you might as well know where to point your flame-thrower.

-Mitch Collinsworth
 mitch@graphics.cornell.edu