Subject: Re: UNIX listserver
From: tasos @ cs-mail . bu . edu (Anastasios Kotsikonas)
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1993 16:39:50 -0400 (EDT)
To: Ophof @ CS . UWindsor . Ca (F. Scott Ophof)
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

> On Tue,  6 Jul 1993 07:46:53 -0800 GMT Mark A. Schaub said:
> >Anybody know of a listserver that runs under UNIX?  Specifically, we have a
> >Data General 6240 running DG/UX 5.4.2 (it's AT&T compliant).
>
> In all fairness to the authors of the "Revised LISTSERV" resp. the
> "ListServer" applications, may I suggest that one use a generic like
> "Mailing List Manager"?  The MLM generic seems to have been around
> for some time, and imho quite accurately describes what you are
> referring to here.
>
> Aside from the issue of fairness to the authors, there's the
> practical question of confusion amongst users of these MLMs.
> Anyone used to "Revised LISTSERV" for example can get rather upset
> when addressing an MLM with <listserv@...> and getting unexpected
> So for those currently using <listserv@...> as address but not
> running "Revised LISTSERV", and for those thinking of using an MLM
> other than the "Revised LISTSERV" MLM, may I urge you to consider
> changeing that address to something more applicable to the MLM (to
> be) used?

This is becoming a bit annoying. This issue has been discussed before and
in GREAT length on this list and most recently on comp.unix.sys5.r4 (a totally
inappropriate newsgroup) and comp.mail.misc. Are we going to see the end
of it ever, or will this message pop up every time one uses the string
"listserv" in all of its forms?

Tasos