Subject: Another "Internet Directory".....
From: morgan @ engr . uky . edu (Wes Morgan)
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 93 09:21:59 EDT
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

This little item appeared in my mailbox over the weekend.  It seems
that this fellow is publishing, essentially, the "Publicly Accessible
Mailing Lists" document (and, probably, its BITNET counterpart).  His
editing of my entry missed the point completely in several respects,
and I found the entire thing distasteful.  In addition, I don't really
like the fact that he's apparently going to publish all the posting
addresses; I think that the vast majority of list managers would pre-
fer to tell subscribers ourselves, via the MLM or human interface,
during the subscription process.  I have too many nonsubscribers posting
dreck to the list *now*; I shudder to think what will happen when this
book comes out.......

Comments?

--Wes

>Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1993 12:09:19 -0400
>From: Eric Braun <gbs@panix.com>
>Apparently-To: starserver-request@engr.uky.edu
>
>Dear List Moderator/Owner,
>
>I am verifying mailing list data for a Directory to the Internet to be
>published soon by Random House. I would greatly appreciate it if you could
>send me back a note if the information given below for your list is
>inaccurate or if the description of the list is not satisfactory (please
>note that the description given is not the final version and it will be
>copy-edited by the publisher). The information given below is everything
>that I am planning to put in the directory for your list, so if there is
>anything missing make sure to send it to me. For example: if there is a
>separate contact address (and a name!) for questions that aren't
>subscription requests, or there is some limitation on who may join, or if
>there is an archive of the list not mentioned, or if the list is conducted
>completely in sanskrit, PLEASE tell me!
>
>Thank you for your help.       -Eric Braun
>List Name: starserver
>
>List Description: For owners, operators, and administrators of AT&T
>StarServer systems.  Mostly about system administration/operation. Unix
>questions and answers" resources are available.

>Post To: starserver@engr.uky.edu

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Consistent MLM syntax