Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 1993)

Subject: Re: A question of philosophy
From: chip @ chinacat . unicom . com (Chip Rosenthal)
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1993 16:14:09 -0600 (CST)
To: paulh @ ox . com (Paul Haas)
Cc: cds @ ossi . com, list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Paul Haas writes:
> Our cheap hack is to have the sender put the list as a blind carbon
> ("Bcc:") when he explicitly did not want replies to go the list.  I'd
> like to see a more elegant solution.

My solution is to munge headers to ensure the list name appears in
the To: address.  This allows people with mailers that support both
reply and group-reply functions to work corectly.  Messing with Reply-To
headers is a mistake.  I learned that the hard way.  It's a simple
and naive answer to the problem.  I fell for it, and many others have
too.  It, however, is a cure worse than the problem.

--
Chip Rosenthal  512-447-0577 | I'm going out where the lights don't shine so
Unicom Systems Development   | bright.  When I get back you can treat me like