Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 1994)

Subject: Re: A flood from America OnLine
From: mcb @ net . bio . net (Michael C. Berch)
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 1994 16:03:44 -0800
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

Stephanie da Silva writes:
> Moral of the story?  Don't have anything to do with America Online.
> Ever.

I am beginning to agree with this.  AOL users have caused the most
problems for me.  Prodigy users are possibly even more clueless, but
they seem to be slower about discovering the Internet, probably because
on Prodigy you have to pay *per message* to *receive* Internet mail.
(Tee, hee.)   Users from CompuServe, Delphi, and GEnie seem like
masters of the universe by comparison.

The latest is a message from cuf@aol.com, which showed up on my two
lists and a third that I am on.  It is some inexplicable twaddle about
VDT safety; interesting perhaps, but totally irrelevant to the lists.
(The user is not a subscriber, and the lists are not moderated.)
I sent a request to the user not to post stuff like that.  Then, upon
seeing the message the third time, I sent a "please educate your user"
type message to postmaster@aol.com.  Then, this morning, I noticed
that the first message to cuf@aol.com bounced with "no such user".
Sigh.  I bundled this off to postmaster@aol.com, with an implied
threat about cutting them off, and promised to cc the message to
list-managers.  (It is appended.)

--
Michael C. Berch
mcb@net.bio.net / mcb@postmodern.com

-----
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: AOL behaviour