Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 1994)

Subject: Re: waves of the future?
From: BATRN <batrn @ inter . nl . net>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 1994 07:55:14 +0100 (MET)
To: Chuq Von Rospach <chuq @ apple . com>
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com, troyer @ cgl . ucsf . edu

On Mon, 14 Feb 1994, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:

> And one fact of life is that the Internet IS rapidly going mainstream. We're
> not a quiet little secret between ourselves and 2,000,000 of our close
> friends any more, and we're crazy if we keep pretending that if we ignore
> them, they'll go away. What they'll do is drown us and shove us out the side
> door as irrelevant. We need to know how to be ready for them, to mainstream
> them into OUR internet, and to figure out ways of handling an Internet
> that's going to be 10,000,000 people and making regular news items in Time
> and the New York Times (which, frankly, means that sooner or later,
> someone's going to have to deal with some of the shadier aspects of the net,
> because we can't hide it from visibility too much longer. So far, the kiddie
> porn, the feethly pictures and the copyirght and piracy stuff has all been
> played to smaller papers and regional markets. Wait until it makes it into
> Newsweek or the NBC nightly news...)

Seems to me that CVR has hit the nail on the head with this one. If the
old guard of gurus, veterans, swamis or whatever, want to be in the
driver's seat and direct net culture as the "wise old men" (sorry for the
lack of PCishness), YOU are going to have to pre-evaluate the future
exponential expansions and devise a means and method of giving the whole
thing some form of direction. Otherwise, the estimated +30 MM users
worldwide are unintendedly (some maybe even intendedly) going to make
life hell .

It will basically be like a professional swimmer doing his laps down at
the local pool, when his routine and rythym are interrupted by a horde of
newcomers diving, jumping and bombing in every which way but loose,
because the never learnt to swim properly. So how about stopping the
non-productive criticism and putting your heads together for a productive
solution.

Paul Lange

AKA batrn@inter.nl.net