Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 1994)

From: Info-LabVIEW List Maintainer <info-labview-request @ Pica . Army . Mil>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 94 8:44:49 EST
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

Andrew PRUSEK <andrewp@itwhy.bhp.com.au> wrote:
>One problem that exists with mailing lists is that the proceedure to subscribe
>to them is very much dependant on the whims of the list-manager.

I agree. In my own mind, I have a set of standards which I've come to just
from years of experience (whatever that means). If there's a 'listserv' (or
lately) 'majordomo' in the admin address, I use 'sub listname Tom Coradeschi'
as the msg body. If there's a -request, I send a polite note asking the list
maintainer to 'Please subscribe me to your list "suchandsuch"'.

I run my lists from a -request address and, for a while at least, was amazed
by the number of 'listserv' style msgs I got. Now I'm just used to it. I
still don't know what to make of the "info" "distribution" and such msgs I
get. Particularly since I'm not real sure what they mean:-}

>Any ideas how to over come this?

Unfortunately, no. Right now, I'd be happy if people just _used_ the
-request address. If we can't educate them enough to do that, getting them
to use a particular syntax or format for an administrative request is going
to be totally hopeless.

                 Tom Coradeschi, Info-LabVIEW List Maintainer
                     <info-labview-request@pica.army.mil>

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Common Syntax for Automated Mailing Lists?