Subject: Re: Superhighway Growth
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuq @ apple . com>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 94 15:42:01 -0700
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM, sullivan @ fa . disney . com

>I guess my question is, how are you folks handling this recent growth spurt
>(if you're seeing one)?  Is your volume becoming such that there's just
>too much information?  How are your machines handling the volume?  If
>you think things are bad now, what do you think is going to happen in
>the next year?

I've just switched from a manual system to listproc (with fewer glitches
than expected, too), but beyond that, I took the time to restructure two of
the three lists we run here. the minor league list got split in two, minors
and minors-scores, because that seemed to be a logical break in the data.
The SF Giants list is now four: giants, giants-tickets (buy/sell),
giants-scores and baseball-caht (for all that stuff that we'd love to send
to rec.sports.baseball, but we can't tolerate the noise). We're probably
also going to split the Sharks list into four pieces soon.

fortunately, the lists have certain sub-sets of information that pretty
clearly have audiences that polarize. People either are or aren't interested
in buying tickets to games, so by splitting it off, we clear that stuff out
of the boxes of the "aren't" group without impacting the "are".

So far (very early returns), it seems to be working.

Indexed By Date Previous: Superhighway Growth