Subject: AOL impresses me
From: Ken Dykes - Immoderator <harley-request @ Thinkage . On . CA>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 1994 18:13:45 -0400
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

I have written what is likely to be another "form letter" for my list duties.
I'm in a sharing mood today...

>Date: Sat, 23 Apr 1994 18:08:07 -0400
>From: Ken Dykes - Immoderator <harley-request>
>To: hdchestnut@aol.com
>Cc: listmaster@aol.com, support@aol.com

A while back you request:

>From: <hdchestnut@aol.com>
>To: harley-request
>Date: Sat, 16 Apr 94 20:49:26 EDT
>Subject: request to join
>
>I have found this rather cryptic reference to a harley list that sounds very
>interesting. I ride a '93 FLHS and would like to join this list/group.
>HDChestnut@aol.comh

and i reply with my standard form letter stating your request did not
meet all my extra requirements for those wishing to subscribe via AOL.
and i referred you specificially to listmaster@aol.com for more information.

Today you respond:

>From: <hdchestnut@aol.com>
>Date: Sat, 23 Apr 94 09:58:09 EDT
>
>I don't want to start any flame wars, but I am not getting any good reasons
>why my request to join your list was denied. I cannot use any other service
>and AOL is my best $ value here for macintosh. Please elucidate what these
>"extra requirements" are. As a dedicated Harley rider, (50 K miles in <4
>years) I am rather pissed at this nonsense. :-o Please restore my faith that
>most Harley enthusiasts are reasonable, intelligent people by giving this
>matter your attention. Thsanks in advance. Bill Chestnut

You *are* in the middle of a nasty business.  This involve Usenet/Internet/AOL
politics and a history far too involved to attempt to explain in simple Email
correspondence.

Anyhow, here is some correspondence from your AOL listmaster:

>From: <pmdatropos@aol.com>
>Date: Thu, 10 Mar 94 14:18:11 EST

>rights to manage your list as you see fit. To forestall future problems with
>your list, I will have the entry deleted until such time as we receive more
>information from you or an indication that the list is once again publicly
>available.

to which, at approximately 6pm March.26th i sent back the "form" he sent
me for registering what requirements must be met to join the Harley mailing
list.
this form was returned to him approximately two weeks after his above message.
this would've been plenty of time to "delete the entry" -- but i was getting
daily indications he had not actually done so.

I have not heard back from the listmaster and can only presume that he:
   a) deleted all references to the Harley list like HE volunteered
      (and thus, this conversation wouldn't even be happening)
or b) has incorporated in a publically available location (mailing list
      database perhaps) the information i sent him in late march.

I am NOT going to tell you, or aother AOL members, on an *individual*
basis what the extra (quite trivial) requirements are.  This information has
been made available to AOL for THEM to provide its multitude of members.

   - Ken Dykes, Thinkage Ltd., Kitchener, Ontario, Canada    [43.47N 80.52W]
         harley-request@thinkage.on.ca             thinkage!harley-request

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Superhighway Growth