Subject: Re: Superhighway Growth
From: Michelle Dick <artemis @ rahul . net>
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 94 19:31:57 -0700
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

jailbait@intercon.com (Jailbait) wrote:
> I must say that I disagree with the plan to feed mailing lists into
> newsgroups. For a great many of the mailing lists out there, I think
> that if the list maintainters /wanted/ a newsgroup, they would have
> started one already. Most of the lists I know /like/ having some
> control over the readers of their lists that is not given by a
> newsgroup.

There's nothing wrong with newsgroup option, because it remains just
that, an option.  If AOL or other service offers it that way, they
still need an internet email feed to provide the list.  List owners
can easily refuse to send the list to such an address-feed.

I allow a few local exploders on my list (which currently has over
1700 addresses, more readers because some folks share and because of
the local exploders).  All exploders are on perpetual probation on my
list.  If I get postings in blatent and unrepentent violation of the
guidelines of my list from a site with an exploder, I nix the
exploder.  Have had no major problems yet (then again, none of the
exploding sites are as large as AOL).  Not sure if I would send agree
to send my list to an AOL exploder or not.  I like the fact that the
mailing list is somewhat hard to read (and to post to! -- I do not set
the reply-to address to the posting address), it limits membership to
those clearly interested in the topic (in my case, very lowfat
vegetarianism).  IMO, the biggest danger of an easy-to-use interface
to email lists is that it makes it too easy to post to it (with 1700+
members, I like to discourage non-substantive posting).  I might
consider allowing an AOL exploder if posting to my list still had to
be done via regular internet email, otherwise I'd be very very
hesitant.

BTW, I have about 40 AOL members currently on my list.  I find them to
generally be good contributors and good net citizens for the most
part.  I do have perpetual problems with misuse of the posting address
for add/drop requests, but I do not find that AOL generates
proportionately more of those problems than other internet sites.

--
Michelle Dick