Subject: Re: selfish motivations, was: Re: AOL impresses me
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuq @ apple . com>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 94 16:51:37 -0700
To: kgdykes @ Thinkage . On . CA, list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

>i suspect those who run "wide open, no rules" lists have few problems.
>those who run tighter ships will bump into more things.

My lists, by the way, are pretty tight, and actively coerced. I kicked
someone off of one Friday, in fact (never, ever say "bite me" to a List
Mom), although that's the first time in a LONG time that's happened.

>since i don't edit/moderate the actual messages (automated digest),

Neither do I. I simply work in the backgroudn 9as much as possible) getting
unwelcome threads to go private or die out. (which occasionally gets someone
to say "bite me", but he didn't get a vote). There's a specific charter and
the like, fairly specific, and closely policed.

>c) forced into it because of the inadequacies of netnews

Good point, but that's a side reason. What about those other thousands in
teh same position that didn't start it up? It might be a catalyst, but not a
motivator.

>oh, you said rhetorical... :-)

But it's fun to think about. Especially by List Mom's that seem to have
continuing problems with the list. Sometimes, if you look deep enough, you
find the conflict isn't coming from external sources.

And sometimes it is.

Indexed By Date Previous: selfish motivations, was: Re: AOL impresses me