Subject: Re: list membership security
From: James Cook <jcook @ netcom . com>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 1994 17:53:27 -0700 (PDT)
To: David Casti <disc @ vector . casti . com>
Cc: Sharon Shea <sshea @ world . std . com>, list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Sun, 24 Apr 1994, David Casti wrote:

> Hi Sharon,
>
> > Majordomo will limit access to members addresses to members only, however -
> > is there a way to hide addresses from list members as well?
> > Concern I'm hearing about is that someone could get signed on, do 'who'
> > and then split with the info.
>
> Yes, I run several lists where members feel the need to remain private
> and had the same concerns about majordomo.  The easiest solution I've
> found is simply patch the majordomo perl file so "who" doesn't work any
> more.  Change the keyword "who" to "green" or "horse" or some other
> random word.  Then update the help file to indicate that 'who' has been
> disabled on your list server.
>
> You and your list managers still have the functionality of a who command,
> but the users at large don't -- and they probably didn't need it anyway.

I have this need too, and think this suggestion sounds brilliant and
simple. Trick is I'm not sure ho to do it in mechanical terms. Any chance
of spelling it out for a simple mind?

Does the modification depend upon cooperation of a sysadmin?  I've not
received cooperation on this matter from ours. Is it doable from a dial
up account?

Thanks to all for this particular, important gem......

James