Subject: Re: list membership security
From: James Cook <jcook @ netcom . com>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 1994 18:21:16 -0700 (PDT)
To: David Casti <disc @ vector . casti . com>
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Sun, 24 Apr 1994, David Casti wrote:

> > Does the modification depend upon cooperation of a sysadmin?
>
> It requires write access to the majordomo executable.  This may or may
> not be your sysadmin.

Ah ......I may out of luck. Also, As Sharon points out, this may disable
the who command for every list manager at a site, correct? Some list
managers w/ Majordomo may desire to leave "who" activated.

> > I've not received cooperation on this matter from ours.
>
> Have you determined why?  I've met very few sysadmins who are gratuitously
> obstinate.  Most of the time they are trying to save work, but you can't
> get much simpler than this solution.

I wish I new. No response to my five requests over several months. They
just indicate that they're busy. I've explained that there are security,
privacy, and proprietary reasons of substance, but they just don't get it
handled.

On another note, I've heard that even disabling "who" will not prevent
certain other methods of even non list members from obtaining alist of
users. Something about sendmail manipulation......

James