Subject: Re: list membership security
From: mmorse @ nsf . gov (Michael H. Morse)
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 1994 08:49:30 EDT
To: arielle @ taronga . com (Stephanie da Silva), list-managers @ greatcircle . com

> One of my lists is sexually oriented, of a somwehat controversial nature
> (specifically people who are into sado-masochism).  A lot of the members
> on my list would prefer that their identities not be known.  Occasionally
> I'll get a request for someone to post their message anonymously.  I don't
> think it's an unreasonable request, given the subject matter.

I thought they were all doing research projects.  :-) :-)

Seriously, folks that think that e-mail of this sort is private, or
that there is any security in this, are really fooling themselves.
How do they know they can trust you?  There is neither the cultural or
legal protections for e-mail that people assume for paper mail.  I
highly doubt there is much legal protection for a mailing list.

--Mike

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: list membership security