Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(June 1994)

Subject: How do I treat AOLers mailing to wrong address?
From: Gess Shankar <gess @ knex . mind . org>
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 94 11:38:44 EDT
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

I have aired this problem here before. For some reason, aol seems
to want to present either the envelope From_ address or the
to respond to that address. At least that is what I think is happening
because only those two headers are set to the List Owner address.

There is the From: header which has the original sender and Reply-To:
header which is set to the list address, both of which seem to be
ignored by the AOL mail agent.

When I scan the mail expecting bounces etc. at that address, I find
mail meant for lists from aol users. What I have to do is to read
the mail, figure out which list it may belong to based on either
a continuing thread or the subject matter and route it there, as
I run a number of lists from here. I do this because some of the
contributions of the AOLers are quite good. But this is getting
tedious.

Question is: Should I just ignore the mailing?
             Should I bounce the mail?
             Should I return the mail with a note about proper
             addressing etc.?

All list mailings have X-reminders pointing to the correct address etc.,
but apparently no one ever sees them or reads them, if they see them.
When I alerted AOL admins to this problem, I got either something is
wrong with my headers or yes, there is a problem and we will fix it
soon. I don't know which of these views is real. I need an interim
solution on how best to treat this.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom.

GeSS
--
Gess Shankar      |<><>|Internet: gess@knex.mind.ORG                    |<><>|
Knowledge Exchange|<><>|::::::::::::<scientia est potentia>:::::::::::::|<><>|

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: What is this "registered" business.