Subject: Re: Policies and problems of lists
From: Gene Rackow <rackow @ mcs . anl . gov>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 1994 17:09:41 -0500
To: Cabinet Cat <kieran @ phantom . com>
Cc: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM, usr7156a @ tso . uc . edu, rackow @ antares . mcs . anl . gov

Cabinet Cat writes:

 >I've toyed with the idea of making my lists moderated, but only because
 >there are SO many bounced emails and error messages that you have to do
 >it in order to filter out auto-generated garbage.  Just today my biggest
 >list got spammed with over 200 copies of the same 5 emails, because a
 >subscriber's mailer went psycho.  What can you do in such a case, other
 >than watch dozens of pissed-off subscribers scream?

This is one of the reasons that the sun-managers mailing list has 2
very useful features.

1. A list of addresses that is checks to see if the mail should be refused.
This is for the case above where they get the message and remail it back
with new message-id, etc.
  basicly "if (from == bozo-in-list) exit"

2. A database of message-id's that have already been feed through the list.
In this way, the sites that misconfigure their alias to include the main
list, or improper use of mail->news->mail drops these messages and users
do not get upset.

One of these days, if time ever permits, I'm going to add those features
into the resend of majordomo.   Hopefully someone will beat me to it. ;-)

--gene

From: Cabinet Cat <kieran@phantom.com>
Next: Re: Policies and problems of lists
From: Michelle Dick <artemis@rahul.net>
Indexed By Thread Previous: Re: Policies and problems of lists
From: Cabinet Cat <kieran@phantom.com>
Next: Re: Policies and problems of lists
From: Michelle Dick <artemis@rahul.net>