Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(September 1994)

From: Jerry Peek <jerry @ ora . com>
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 1994 07:38:50 -0700
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM
Cc: Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjetilho @ ifi . uio . no>

Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjetilho@ifi.uio.no> writes:
> There are currentlyso many possible addresses to use for requests:
> listserv, listproc, majordomo, intermail, foo-request to name a few.
> Only one of these naming conventions is software independent, so I
> think we should try to make "foo-request" the norm.

Here's one reason I used to give for not depending on "foo-request."
Back in the Dark Ages when I started using this email stuff, lots of
systems would truncate addresses that were longer than 8 characters.
"-request" is 8 characters long, by itself.  Is that still a problem??
--
Jerry Peek; O'Reilly & Associates; Sebastopol, CA 95472 USA; jerry@ora.com
Info: gopher gopher.ora.com (or telnet, and login: gopher), or info@ora.com