Subject: Non-subscriber postings
From: snyderra @ post . drexel . edu (Bob Snyder)
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 1995 23:58:33 -0500
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

At 11:50 PM 3/11/95, Amy Goodloe wrote:

>I can't understand why anyone WOULD want their lists open to non-subscriber
>postings (is that what you meant?)  I can't believe its the default in the
>current version of majordomo to have lists open to random posts -- that
>seems rather, well, dumb.  But I also can't understand why it isn't harder

Well, one reason I can think of is that many hosts aren't configured to
send mail as a domain address.  For example, you may have the foo.com
domain, with a.foo.com, b.foo.com, c.foo.com, and so on.  Mail from the
user could come from any of them.

There are ways of coding around them, but preventing subscribers from
posting is a tad anti-social without cause.

Bob

--
Bob Snyder N2KGO                               MIME, PGP, RIPEM mail accepted
snyderra@post.drexel.edu                      PGP & RIPEM keys on key servers

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Subject: duplicated posts -- what causes them?