Subject: Re: Proposed Trouble Data Base
From: sds @ jazzie . com (Sean Shapira)
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 1995 02:22:48 -0800 (PST)
To: alan @ znyx . com (Alan Deikman)
Cc: sshea @ world . std . com, list-managers @ greatcircle . com

Alan wrote:
> The trick to keeping them off your list is principally
> identifying them.

Identity is a nebulous concept.  I know people who maintain
an electronic personae for their professional life completely
separate from their personal persona.  Which do you want to
identify: the person, or the persona?

List managers interested in mapping email personae to real-
world people should check out the SLED (Stable, Large, Email
Database) project.  Mail to info@sled.com gets you a nice
description of the service from their mailbot.

(Obligatory disclaimer:  I have no connection to SLED other
than having taken advantage of their free service.)

> What I am suggesting
> is that several list-managers who know each other get together to
> share information by private e-mail.  The last thing you want is
> this information to be known to the net in general.

As others have done, I suggest extreme care with this approach.
A public database open to inspection and correction (like the
big credit databases) would be less vulnerable to criticism.

Kimberly wrote:
>The net may be appear to be a big
>place, but in my experience, it really isn't.

I have just one word in response:  "Growth."

FWIW, I believe the best approach to shaping list traffic is
"out-of-band self-moderation".  I would be happy to expand on
this idea if there's interest....

--
Sean Shapira         sds@jazzie.com         (206) 443-2028