Subject: Re: List abusers database
From: James Cook <jcook @ netcom . com>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 1995 14:41:03 -0800 (PST)
To: Fred H Olson WB0YQM <fholson @ maroon . tc . umn . edu>
Cc: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

I'm not an attorney, but do believe that libel is often shown to exist
based on the reasonable inference another person might take from some
disclosure of information about a person, whether or not named. If it is
reasonably possible to identify a person from some information
communicated/ made public, and if a reasonable person might infer such
effect from the manner of disclsoure as to subject to person to some form
of ridicule or other "trouble", then a case for libel may lay. So, in
this respect, it's possible that simply putting someone's name in a
database publicly known as a reserve of data about "abusers" could be
sufficient contextual info. to "libel" the guy..... or at least enable an
attorney to argue that.

James Cook

On Tue, 14 Mar 1995, Fred H Olson WB0YQM wrote:

> I would participate in such a database tho I have not had much problem.
> I do wonder if it's worth the effort.
>
> I would propose that the format be name, email address and url of
> sample objectionable posts from the abuser.  It's hard to charge libel
> if you dont comment.  One could even have a discalimer such as:
> "No implications is intended by names simply being mentioned in this
> archive; please use the author's words to draw any conclusions."
>
> Try to stick to the facts.  Let the abuser speak for themselves.
> The effort to maintain it would be minimal if the database were a
> non linked searchable WWW archive of email messages (obscure URL shared
> among participating list managers only).
>
> The lack of good information to enforce accountability and appropriate
> 'peer pressure' lets a lot of anti social behavior thrive.  It's sort of
> like people will write graffitti on bathroom walls that they wouldn't say
> in public.
>
> Fred
>
> --
> Fred H. Olson   fholson@uci.com   (612)588-9532  Amateur radio: WB0YQM
> 1221 Russell Av N, Minneapolis,MN 55411 Sysop of COHOUSING-L listserv;
> COHOUSING URL's:  mailto://listserv@uci.com (w/ msg: Info Cohousing-L)
> gopher://gopher.uci.com/     TC FREENET PUBLIC TEST PHASE: May 1, 1995
> URL's: mailto://info@freenet.msp.mn.us  http://freenet.msp.mn.us:8000/

James Cook 	                    * Information Professionals List
Internet: jcook@netcom.com          * IPN / Information Professionals Network