Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(May 1995)

Subject: Re: AOL's Reply function and list-of-list resources
From: dattier @ wwa . com (David W. Tamkin)
Date: Wed, 10 May 1995 15:19:08 -0500 (CDT)
To: gess @ knex . mind . org
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Gess Shankar wrote,

| I think AOL finally fixed this problem. I have a large number of AOL
| subscribers in my lists. Invariably postings made as replies used to
| come to the envelope From_ address. But this phenomenon has completely
| disappeared, so I assume that AOL has learnt how to deal with the
| headers.

I wouldn't say that it has *completely* disappeared.  It certainly has
decreased on one of my lists in the last couple months.  On the other it
continues unabated.

| Some compuserve and delphi users are still sending mail to the From_
| address, so I assume some of the front ends they use must do weird stuff.

I've had no problem with Delphi or Prodigy users.  There is one CIS customer
on each of the two lists I run, so I can't make a blanket statement.  One
keeps submitting to -request but the other knows what the two addresses are
for.  With such a small sample to work from, I've been attributing the diffe-
rence to their personalities.

| At least, AOL listmaster/s acknowledged my complaints once in a while.
| I hear nothing from Compuserve or Delphi.

Now *that's* just about indisputable.  It was hard enough hearing from them
when I wrote within the system as their own customer.