Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(May 1995)

Subject: Re: sendmail delayed delivery notification too soon?
From: Gene Rackow <rackow @ mcs . anl . gov>
Date: Wed, 10 May 1995 16:51:35 -0500
To: Paul Graham <pjg @ acsu . buffalo . edu>
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM, rackow @ mcs . anl . gov

On my machine doing most of the mailing list stuff, I think that 10 minutes
is way to short.  So is 8 hours for that matter.  I have it disabled.  If
it's mailing list stuff I really don't care that it's delayed in getting to
a some poeple out of the several K in the list.  It's going to depend
on the list and what your subscriber base looks like to determine
what you want for notification.

If your list is "deans@buffalo.edu" and the main purpose of the list
is for calling meetings in 15 minutes, you need to set things accordingly.
If the list is something like "civil-war-in-review", then you probably
don't need to be too concerned if someone doesn't get it this week.

Now, with that said,  I bounce people that cause delay notification from remote
sites.  I also bounce them for the old "uucp can't contact site for xx hours,
still trying" messages.  I do not like bounce traffic of any kind.  I do not
think these messages are necessary in a low priority mailing list.  Personal
email, and high priority lists are a different matter.

If someone subscibes to one of my mailing lists from your site, and he is
forwarding from there to someplace else, and that site can't be reached for
what you deem is reasonable and "delayed delivery notify" me that it's not
getting though, after a few of those, I'll bounce the person from my list.
If I don't, I wind up getting several meg of mail a day in stupid bounce
traffic.  Let the user subscribe to the list directly in a way that my machine
does the timeout, not yours.  It's easier on the net, and my mail spool.
Also since I bounce them with notification that they have a problem, many
times they investigate and fix something that is broken.

   Gene Rackow                    email: rackow@mcs.anl.gov
   Math & Computer Science        voice: 708-252-7126
   Argonne National Lab           FAX:   708-252-5986
   9700 S. Cass Ave. / Argonne, IL  60439

Paul Graham made the following keystrokes: