Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(June 1995)

Subject: problem with unqualified hostnames on requests
From: Alan Stebbens <aks @ dokoka . ucsb . edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 1995 20:53:20 -0700
To: "SmartList Users" <smartlist @ informatik . rwth-aachen . de>, list-managers @ greatcircle . com

I'm not sure how to deal with this problem:

A request comes into a smartlist-managed request alias, where the
"From:" headers are unqualified, but the address on the "subscribe
ADDRESS" command *is* fully-qualified.

Our mailer, on the assumption that "plain", unqualified names can only
be local, qualifies the names with our default domain.  Thus, in the
request header below, we see "ats@hubert.ucsb.edu", when, in fact, the
original request had "ats@hubert", without any domain name.

Since our mailer is doing the qualifying, there is no way SmartList, or
any other list managing software, can know that both the From: or From
address is wrong, unless they compare them against the address in the

Does anyone know of an automatic heuristic to deal with these kinds of
problems, or should I just let 'em bounce?

Alan

    >From ats@hubert.ucsb.edu  Tue Jun 13 19:58:02 1995
    >To: hyperbole-request@hub.ucsb.edu
    >Subject: Subscribe <ats@hubert.wustl.edu> (Alan Shutko
    >Comments: Hyperbole mail buttons accepted, v03.18.13.
    >Date: Tue, 13 Jun 1995 21:57:12 -0500
    >From: Alan Shutko <ats@hubert.ucsb.edu>
    >

    >  hyperbole-announce - Hyperbole announcements only

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: problem with unqualified hostnames on requests