Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(June 1995)

Subject: Re: Marie Franco's diligence
From: dattier @ wwa . com (David W. Tamkin)
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 1995 19:54:58 -0500 (CDT)
To: bfleming @ pinsight . com (Bob Fleming)
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

Every day when Marie Franco receives the digest her autoresponse sends this
to the list, which in turn distributes it to everybody:

| >This is a response from my "Mail Manager." It responds to any messages while
| >I'm out of the office. I'm on a course June 19, 20, and 21.  I'll be in on
| >Thursday, June 22, and then away on holidays until the 18th of July.

Bob Fleming commented:

| Thanks for keeping us all posted.  Will we be getting this message each day
| until July 18th ...  ;-)

Apparently we will, Bob, except for June 22.  No wonder she refers to her
mail manager in quotes; it isn't the real thing.

I wonder how many days the digest has consisted only of Marie's autoresponse
to the previous day's digest (which in turn may have comprised nothing but
her autoresponse the the one before).  But darn it, that's an article for the
list, so the next day there's another digest issue, and her acknowledgment
comes in again to trigger another the day after, even though no one else has
been submitting.  If her autoreplier were configured right, there would be no
mail for it to react to.  The way this feeds on itself is truly funny.

When digest subscribers to my lists misconfigure their autorepliers I tweak
the list routines to prevent their blurbs from going out.  If they're on the
reflector distribution and sending their autoresponses to the authors, I
switch them to digest so that they will stop annoying the other members and
make note that they are not allowed EVER to return to the reflector.