Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(June 1995)

From: bourbeau @ kenmoto1 . iii . net (Ken Bourbeau)
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 1995 19:05:47 -0400
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

 kjetilho@ifi.uio.no (Kjetil Torgrim Homme) sed:

>Kjetil wrote:
>> Well, at least we can test [the] assertion: that very few lists with
>> more than 50 subscribers are run manually.
>
>I'm fascinated by the subject of manually run lists.  Just last
>night I reluctantly converted a pet list of mine (with 64 recipients)
>from manual to majordomo administration, which gave me cause to think
>about list management in general.
>
>I wonder first what others mean when they write that a list is
>"run manually".  Is that a list where administrative requests
>are handled manually, or one where message distribution requires
>human intervention?
>
>Or are people using "run manually" as a synonym for "administered
>manually?"

In my case I ran one for over a year as a digest only format. 2 or 3
times a week I'd cut & paste the mail together and remail it to
the list. That one is now on majordomo. The other, is fairly new
and has fewer subscribers but I'm still cutting and pasting even
though the traffic is less than the one with the larger subscriber
base.

Interesting fact: Automating the older/larger list has resulted in
less rather than more convrsation than when it went in digest
form. I believed that the immediacy of the bounce format would do
just the opposite. OTOH the smaller/higher-traffic list is crying
out for a bounce format. So the question: when to automate a
manual list?

Best to ya from the sticks o New Hampshire,
Kenny