Subject: Re: intentinal mail loops
From: srb @ cuci . nl (Stephen R. van den Berg)
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 1995 21:21:45 +0200
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Brian Hartsfield <bh@hq.stargame.org> wrote:
>What has been happeneing is that members that want to be unsubscribed but
>don't remember how are setting up intentonal mail loops and resending all
>mailk from the list back to the list.  This is taxing on the machine the

This is a novel way of unsubscribing, haven't seen that before.

>we can't do anything" and what it seems like is happeneing is that one
>person does this and get unsubscribed and then the other people tht want
>unsubscribed think that this is the way to get unsubscribed and do the
>same thing.  There have been three of these in the past month.

Which makes me kind of wonder, what kind of audience does your list
attract?  In order to do things like this, these people almost have to be
vandalistic by nature.

>Any ideas on the best way to deal with this in the future?  When people
>do this and get what they want (unsubscribed) it only encoourages others
>to do the same.

You have two options, basically:
1. Detect the loop at all times and don't feed it back in again.
2. Do not unsubscribe these idiots from the list when this happens,
   just make sure that submissions from them land in /dev/null.
--
Sincerely,                                                          srb@cuci.nl
           Stephen R. van den Berg (AKA BuGless).