Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(August 1995)

Subject: re: Architext
From: Graham Spencer <graham @ atext . com>
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 1995 15:34:35 -0700
To: gess @ knex . mind . org
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM, graham @ atext . com

Gess Shankar <gess@knex.mind.org> said:

  >  Well, you guys still seem to be at it, expecting responses to
  >  hosts which cannot be accessed at your site. A recent example at
  >  an attempt to get subscription information from one of my
  >  lists....When the server sent the information blurb, guess what?

No, we stopped all of our mailings as soon as we started to see
problems. We haven't mailed anything to any list managers in several
days.

  >            by sunshine.eushc.org (8.6.10/EUSHC) with ESMTP
  >            id DAA10713; Sat, 5 Aug 1995 03:33:38 -0400
  >     ----- The following addresses had delivery problems -----
  >  <list@cochese.atext.com>  (unrecoverable error)

  >     ----- Transcript of session follows -----
  >  <list@cochese.atext.com>... Deferred: No route to host

My knowledge of the internals of sendmail is minimal, but is it
possible that this message was waiting in the queue for a few days,
trying to find a route, until sendmail gave up and notified you?

I guess the other possibility is that our internal machine queued the
request for later delivery, and just recently mailed it to you.

In any event, I assure you that we haven't sent out any new messages
after our batch of "Apology from Architext" emails.

--Graham

Graham Spencer                   Phone: 415.934.3613
graham@atext.com                   Fax: 415.934.3610
Architext Software                Mail: 2700 Garcia, Mountain View 94043