Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(August 1995)

From: alan @ znyx . com (Alan Deikman)
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 95 10:46:16 -0700
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

Diane Close writes:

>This has to be one of the weirdest abuses of net resources I've seen by
>a postmaster and system adiministrator.  Basically nbi.com uses Usenet
>newsgroups to try to contact ONE person whenever that person's e-mail
>bounces from nbi.com mailing lists:

  <snip>

>I've put nbi.com in my killfile after seeing the first blatant waste
>of newsgroup space.  Do any other list managers agree with, or follow,
>the same policy as nbi.com?

I'm afraid you have run into one of the side effects of the wild-west
anarchy of the Net in general.  Yes, I agree with you that their attitude
needs some adjustment and if I were Master of the Universe I would cut
off the nbi.com site's access until they become more reasonable.

Hopefully, they will be ostracized by their peers.

On another tack, this just adds to my ongoing observation that the
USENET is has been fissioning into an overbloated, useless (USELESSNET?)
organisim with a noise-to-signal ratio that renders it virtually unusable
anyway.  The only groups that I ever bother with any more are the
highly technical or the moderated groups.

USENET was bad enough when there were only a few tens of thousands of
contributors.  Then, the biggest headache was when the fall semester
rolled around, which is when all the newbies got access and started
making their first clueless posts.  Now, with commercial access on-line,
this happens ALL the time with thousands of times more lowest-common-
denominator type players.

So, as far as USEFUL forums go, moderated newsgroups or mailing lists
are about the only viable vehichle.  USENET is going the way of CB.