Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(August 1995)

Subject: Re: Are we missing the point?
From: Todd Day <today @ di . com>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 1995 10:06:21 -0700
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

A couple people have written me, saying

>On what planet is that "THE point of running a mailing list"?

Well, okay, sorry, guess I should have thought about the use of the
word "vigorous".  I probably should have used the word "healthy"
or something like that.  It was late - my fault.  I certainly didn't
mean to imply that an email list should have high traffic.

Rephrasing...
>to promote healthy
>discussion of a particular topic among a large amount of people

I hope I'm not too far off base now, or I'm in big trouble! :-)

My main point
was that we shouldn't worry so much about minor technical details
of someone's list implementation if it is working for them *and* is
not causing other people administration problems *and* is not going
to cause problems in the future.  I was just expressing my concern
over what I saw as basically a religious war over the sanctity of
the Reply-To header.  On the net, it seems there is always more than
three right ways to do anything.

-todd-

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: not spam, and not net abuse either.